10.22.2008

Fear in the Office

Wow, as soon as I announce my promotion, Highland is forced to lay people off. Having just received a promotion, I quickly learned that there was more going on behind the scenes.
My new boss called my whole group (about 30 people) into the big break room downstairs, closed the door, and said “if you are in this room right now, you still have a job. The people you do not see in the room, from our group, are being let go as we speak. We will stay in here until they gather their things and leave the building.” …. Whoa….breathe….breathe….breathe. That could have been the most terrifying experience I will ever have. Knock on wood.

As soon as Todd and I were allowed to return to our desks, we realized, collectively, that those not in our new group might have also been let go. We immediately began to check our office’s instant messenger and sure enough, people slowly start to gray out. (I know, how dramatic right?! I am being dead serious, this really happened.) Well, obviously, having come from our old group not 24 hours before then, we started to monitor the list of our old group. Our boss was the first to go, followed by two others. Now, putting 2+2 together, we realize that we were promoted rather hastily, and together, because they had plans to eliminate most of our old group! It went from ten with us, to just five and no boss. Wow. WOW. WOW!

I can only be grateful that Heavenly Father has allowed me to hang on to my job this long during our economy’s time of struggle. It also makes me glad to have a testimony of following the Prophets and the counsel we have received: to live within our means, save for a rainy day, have a year’s supply of food, and to have faith and hope for the best.

3 comments:

jed-laura said...

WOW- Dave-

Congrats on the promotion, and I'm glad you still have a job today. I bet that was seriously a whirlwind experience!

Couldn't they wait until it wasn't a holiday? Even if it is just Halloween. Can you imagine having to go home to your family on a Halloween night to let them know you don't have a job?

Crazy- and again, congrats on the promotion.

James! said...

Dave that is absolutely insane! Congrats on keeping the job and getting promoted. Here in UT Valley there's not so much of a chance of being let go and it's crazy to think that someone I know so well would be in that kind of danger. While our office was partying on Halloween yours was laying people off....crazy!

Patsy said...

That is quite a scary and unsettling feeling. So glad to hear you guys are doing ok.