7.10.2008

Prepared Childbirth

This past Tuesday Dave and I had our first birthing class.  It is called prepared childbirth.  It is done by the hospital I will be delivering in.  I thought it was great!  
I enjoyed hearing about what really are signs and what are not.  For instance having flu like symptoms are a sign you are in the preliminary stages of labor.  I did not know that.  Other things were really obvious like, if your water breaks.  The instructor also went over the importance of breathing during labor and delivery.  It was funny she said I am not going to teach you that hee hee huu method that all the movies show.  She just really emphasized that you need to be aware of your breathing to help you focus and if possible to make a pattern to take you mind off all of the pain.  We will see how much of a pattern I develop while screaming at everyone around me.
This was just the first of 4 classes, one of the nights we will spend touring the hospital.  Which to me seems really important because I can image us getting separating while Dave does some type of paper work and then he misses everything.  I would be really mad if that happened.  
Anyway this is just a blip of the things running through my mind lately.  I have 8 weeks to ago and I am both excited and really nervous for her to come!  But that is probably how every mother feels.  This is about what Lucy is up to at the moment:
--She is about 15-16 inches, weighs about 4 lbs, and never stops kicking!
--She is very quickly running out of space and soon will only have room to suck her thumb and dig her little toes up my ribs and around my sides.
--Dave and I like to play with her by poking my sides so that she pokes/kicks back at us.

5 comments:

Emily said...

How fun! I remember that! You really learn a lot of things you never realized happened. Where are you delivering? I am so excited for you guys! Cherish it!

Terri Lindsay said...

Kellen was a Kicker and a mover, and now I can't keep up with him, something you just might have to look forward to. But every second is worth it when he wants to give you a hug or kiss.

Beau said...

Hey guys! We really miss you over here at OIT. It is great to hear that everything is going great with the pregnancy. Make sure we get some pictures when you have her. :)

Dani said...

I am getting so excited for you!

Katie May said...

Oh, I am just so excited for you both! I understand all of the crazy emotions of excitement, terror and everything else in between. Everything will be great, so don't fret too much!!! Can't wait to see lil' Lucy!